STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM BROWNIE SANDWICHES
Tough Guy Sweet Treats
- 1lb. strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 oz. freeze dried strawberries , finely ground to powder
- 2 cups heavy cream
- To roast strawberries: Toss sliced strawberries with sugar, spread onto baking sheet in a single layer. Roast at 375°F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a blender and puree. Transfer the puree to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight
- Preparation: Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (this will prevent the plastic wrap from shifting around in the pan) and the line pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 4-inch overhang on each side. Set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a standmixer bowl whisk together egg yolks, whole egg, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over the simmering water, making sure the bottom does not touch the water. Whisk the mixture continuously until it reaches 175°F. Transfer the bowl to the standmixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until mixture doubles in volume and is cool to the touch. Add the freeze-dried strawberries and beat until well combined. Turn off mixer and fold in strawberry puree. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add half of the whipped cream to the whipped egg mixture and fold until just streaky. Add in remaining whipped cream and fold until well combined and no streaks remain. Pour the mixture into prepared loaf pan. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Note: The freeze dried strawberries provide are highly concentrated and give this ice cream a bright burst of flavor and provide a nice shot of color. Freeze dried strawberries can be found in most supermarkets or can easily be ordered from Amazon.